Delhi Blue Pottery Trust is the oldest pottery-related institution in the country. It started out as Delhi Blue Art Pottery in 1952 on Factory Road on the outskirts of Delhi. With a history of almost 60 years, Delhi Blue has constantly striven to promote pottery through its multifarious activities, branching out to touch various aspects of the field.

Padmashree Sardar Gurchan Singh, pioneer potter of India, set it up as a production centre, and a teaching centre to promote pottery. In
1991, he formed a Trust to take forward his objectives. His son, eminent potter, Sardar Mansimran Singh heads the Trust, supported by the Trustees.

A brief introduction to the people behind Delhi Blue Pottery Trust.


Sardar Gurcharan Singh : Founder

The founder of Delhi Blue Pottery is considered the ‘Father’ of Studio pottery in India. He is a true pioneer. He studied ceramics in Japan for three years, 1919 to 1922 and whilst there, he came into contact with the internationally acclaimed ceramists, Yanagi Soetsu, Bernard Leach, Tomimoto Kenkich known for its Persian copper-blue tiles. In 1927 he founded the All India Fine Arts & Crafts Society (AIFACS). He was the head of the Government Pottery Institute at Ambala in Jammu from the late 1930s until 1952. Singh then returned to his old pottery works, renaming it Delhi Blue Art Pottery (now the Delhi Blue Pottery Trust). The special Delhi Blue Pottery tiles and Jallis have decorated many landmarks in Delhi like India International Centre, Ford Foundation, Tis Hazari, Dolls Museum and the Indian High Commission in UK. In 1974 Gurcharan Singh was awarded the Sahitya Kala Parishad’s best artist award and in 1991 he received the Padmashree from the President of India for his contribution to the field of ceramics. He is the author of Pottery In India, published in 1979.

Mansimran Singh: (Managing Trustee)
Renowned potter, both National and at the International level, he has been in the field of pottery for 5 decades. On returning from UK in 1960 after studying with Bernard leach and Geoffrey Whiting he joined his father at Delhi Blue Art Pottery and continued to work there till 1985. During this period he held innumerable pottery exhibitions and taught an endless stream of students from many countries. In 1985 he and his wife moved to the village of Andretta in the Kangra Valley in Himachal Pradesh, where he continues to teach students, hold workshops and work with the local craftsman till date.


Ravi Batra: Trustee
An engineer by profession he has been a founder trustee since 1991. His activities for the Trust include administrative and financial inputs. He is the main coordinator between the Trust and Sanskriti-Delhi Blue Ceramic Centre, all of whose activities he oversees.


Raj Kubba: Trustee
A doctor by profession, he has been actively involved in collecting ceramics for the last thirty years. Extremely knowledgable on the subject, his inputs have been invaluable while organizing large national and international pottery events.


Anuradha Ravindranath : Trustee
An avid pottery lover, she trained under Mansimran Singh in 1975. She has been collecting pottery for the last 40 years and has perhaps one of the largest collections of Gurcharan Singh’s and Mansimran Singh’s works. She was inducted into the Trust in 1996. She compiled the book on Sardarji’s life titled ‘Pottery and The Legacy of Sardar Gurcharan Singh’ which was published by the Trust in 1998. Since then she has also been involved in the formulation and execution of all the major events of the Trust.


Harpal Singh: Trustee
Grandson of Gurcharan Singh, he joined the Trust two years ago. He takes an active interest in its day-to- day functioning.


Rekha Bajpe Aggarwal: Trustee
An accomplished potter, she along with the Managing Trustee, is involved in all the technical aspects of the running of the pottery studios, organizing materials for workshops, as well as conducting workshops on behalf of the Trust. A part of the Trust since 2004, she has been editing and publishing the Indian Ceramic
Quarterly (ICQ) magazine for the Trust since its inception in 2008.
 
     
OUR PHOTO GALLERY ( Please click on thumbnail to enlarge)